jeudi 15 décembre 2011

Ice Choir , the 80's Revival ! Coup de coeur.

For those that didn't already know, The Ice Choir is the solo project of Kurt Feldman (Drummer for Pains of Being Pure at Heart )
"Two Rings" is the first single from their untiteled debut album.




















Kurt's interview

When did you start making music?

I wrote my first song when I was 10. My dad helped me.


Give me a brief history of the band

Not much history actually… We've only existed as a band since around April, 2011. I've been working on this first batch of songs (which will appear as our first full length in May, 2012) since late October of last year. A couple of them appeared on a 7" single that was released last month called "Two Rings." This is starting to sound like a math riddle…
Oh yeah, I was in a band before this called Depreciation Guild. Raphael, who plays synths in Ice Choir played in that band too. I used to teach him music lessons when he was a kid and now he's way better than me at everything and much taller. Patrick is my musical soul-mate (and roommate) and he's never played in a band before this but is an excellent synth and fretless bass player, which is why I forced him onto the stage. Avery, who plays percussion in this band, plays keyboards in Ravens and Chimes -- we went to NYU together many years ago because we're SO OLD.


What sort of musical background do you have?

I started taking guitar lessons when I was 8 and picked up drums and bass on my own shortly after that. I've been playing in "bands" since I was 11…A skill-set that is nearly irrelevant for this project, considering that i write 80% of the music on a computer.

Where did the name “Ice Choir” come from?

It's not a reference to anything. The song "The Ice Choir" came first and it seemed as fitting a band name as it did a song title. The song has personal meaning to me so I'll leave it open to interpretation. Not too long ago, I found out that there was an Ensoniq patch called "Ice Choir." How fitting is that?


How would you describe the Ice Choir sound?

Parallel universe, 1987.


Can you talk about the songwriting and recording process?

Picture me sitting in front of a computer connected to a bunch of old synths, drawing in MIDI on piano roll for several hours. Then Patrick comes in and we have a good laugh about the hilarious shit I just came up with.


What do you think about the role of music blogs?


Same as the role of bands, I suppose -- to over-saturate the "no-one-gives-a-fuck" realm. WE'RE SO GOOD AT THAT.


What are your future plans // European tour ?

Unlikely.


Merci à Kurt Feldman !

xxx





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire